Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Battle of the Nap

I really don't know where to begin with this story, but where it starts is with the fact that Jackson doesn't like to take naps. For awhile, I have allowed him to lay on the couch while Garrett takes his afternoon nap. Sometimes he will fall asleep, sometimes he won't, but my main point is to get him to rest and have some down time. Lately however, he has been taking advantage of this and has not even been resting during this time. He looks for excuses to get up. And, I will be honest and say (and I think all mothers would agree)....I need nap time! I don't typically need a nap, but I NEED that quiet time or that time to do things I can't do when the boys are awake. With that being said though, Jackson is 2 1/2.....he still NEEDS a nap. If not, he is tired and cranky by dinner. If Jackson is cranky, our whole house is cranky.

This past Sunday I decided to buckle down and make him take his nap in his room. He cried. He didn't throw a fit, but I could tell he just didn't understand why. When my explanation didn't seem to work, I decided to make up a story. I told him that his doctor called me and wanted to make sure that Jackson was taking naps so that he would grow to be big and strong. I should have stopped there, but I kept going. I told him that his doctor told me about a new law that little boys and girls have to sleep in their rooms. Then since I said the word "law" I thought of police men. Jackson has a new police car that he loves, if we pass a police car he makes siren sounds, etc. He LIKES police men. I promise he knows they are good people! I told him that we want to make police men happy, so we have to follow the rules. I do not think that is bad! However, Aaron and a few others have lectured me about bringing in the police men. So, I only said that to him on Sunday, but just know that he DOES still like police men and he is not scared of them. I wouldn't have told him that if I thought he was unsure of them! We actually parked next to one at the grocery store today and he was very excited! "Peace-Man- Woooo-Woooo-Woooo"

Sunday he took a nap in his bed! YEA!

Monday. I had to meet my sister in Dallas for something, so my mom came by to watch the boys. At first I told my mom that she needed to make Jackson nap in his bed. Then I decided since it was only the 2nd day of it and Jackson has a way of winning over his Grammy's heart, I told her just to make him rest. I didn't want him to feel successful in battle of the nap!

Tuesday. We went to the store around 12:30. On our way home, his eyes were getting very heavy! I kept him awake until we got home. He was tired and it was obvious! I laid Garrett down in his bed, laid Jackson down in his bed, and then the battle began. Long story short, (kind of) I ended up telling him he could sleep anywhere in his room as long as Mommy doesn't see him. He knows that means, I will be in the living room, so you can't come in there. (When I type that, it sounds like I was being mean by saying "As long as Mommy doesn't see you," but he knew what I meant based on the rules. Any interaction he has with me during naptime, the less of a chance of him falling asleep) I think he just wanted to "pick his spot" like he used to be able to during naptime. He wanted to have some sense of power. So....whatever! I started doing things around the house and then noticed I didn't hear him. I looked down the hallway to his room and discovered Jackson sleeping.....here....

He was passed out! Although this is NOT the best spot and maybe we should have kept carpet in the hallway, he must have been okay with it if he was able to go to sleep. And of course, Aaron came home for a little bit and saw Jackson sleeping in the hallway and I got to hear "Kelli D'Anne! Don't make him sleep there!" I DIDN'T make him sleep there! That is where he picked. Best choice for us? No., but Jackson must have liked it.

I worried that he was going to be sore or wake up in a horrible mood, but he woke up as happy as could be. He even attempted to sleep in that spot for bedtime tonight, which I didn't allow, and he just grinned at me. Have no worries. Both of my children are peacefully sleeping in soft places tonight.


3 comments:

Marla said...

YES! Mommies need their "nap time," too! Whether it is for an actual nap or for just getting stuff done!

And I love that Aaron said, "Kelli D'Anne!" because when I am in trouble...I also get this...except...I get my first, middle, and MAIDEN name called out!! haha. It's true!

Mama Weir said...

Kelli...this is the cutest thing ever! I literally laughed out loud when I saw the pics. So cute.

Sis said...

Love the fact that Little G is sleeping with that monkey. Did you know that Aunt M sleeps just like Jackson is sleeping here? One arm up. Told you he looks like me.