Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear Diary, I need to vent.

Potty Training - these are 2 words I wish would magically disappear.

Monday morning started off great. Jackson was excited about using the potty. He thought it was neat that his "yellow pee" came with an imaginary key that unlocked the container of M&Ms. Mommy didn't have the power to open the container without the pee pee key. He had a few accidents, but didn't show any signs of frustration. Things were going overall well.

He had only been wearing underwear, but for his afternoon nap I put him in Pull Ups which are still supposed to allow kids to feel the wetness. When he woke up from his nap, he could have cared less that the Pull Ups were wet. To him, it was like a diaper. He is always grouchy after his afternoon nap and this day wasn't any different. He didn't want anything to do with the potty which caused several accidents. After about two (LONG) hours passed, he was back to doing well. He would even occasionally stop playing to use the potty. Going to bed Monday night I still had hope that this may work.

Tuesday morning - he didn't really have an interest in the potty. He wanted to play with his toys and Garrett instead of using the potty. He would avoid me when I asked him if he need to go. He used the potty about 50% of the time, but the other 50% of the time were accidents. With his warning sign/sensation normally comes a little squirt of pee pee (sorry, I don't know a proper way to put that). It got to the point that even when he would hold it long enough to get to the potty, he was still frustrated about his wet underwear from the squirt. Ugh!

After today's nap, it all kind of continue going down hill. As much as I put on a smile for him, I know the both of us are frustrated. For me, it is emotionally draining and from what I hear it shouldn't be like that.

When I look online for tips, I don't find much. From what I have read and heard from others is potty training isn't bad if the child is ready. Well, there isn't anything that is "not to bad" here. Those are definitely not the words I would use. This just tells me that Jackson is not ready. I have read and heard from the pediatrician that most kids are potty trained between the ages of two and three with boys being towards the end of that range. Jackson is only 2 years and almost 4 months. I think I get down because it seems like kids used to be trained earlier, so they say. I wonder though, were they 100% trained? I find that hard to believe, but if it is true, please tell me the secret. When Aaron went to Wal-Mart to buy the Pull Ups, the check out lady asked if we were potty training and how old out child was. When Aaron said 2 1/2 (which he is actually younger than that) she repeated 2 1/2 in a strange voice. Aaron didn't know if she said it that was because she thought it was old or young. I am sure she thought it was old...

One readiness sign that they say to look for that now makes sense to me is that the child needs to be able to sit still for a few minutes. Although I used to think Jackson could do that, I now see what they really mean by that. It should say "Can your child sit still for several minutes doing a BORING activity?" To be successful at the potty, you have to stop, focus, and concentrate on what you are doing. Jackson will do this, but for a BRIEF period of time before he is off running around with his underwear around his ankles. I don't think he is mature enough yet and I feel weird saying that. He is 2, I don't expect him to be mature. But, I think he is still a little too much of a crazy toddler for this.

To put a stop to a long story, we are taking a break. I am okay with Jackson being in the same timeline as the other boys. In the meantime, I am going to buy some books (any good recommendations???) and pack my brain with tips. March 27 is my goal date to start. I think I am going to keep him in the Pull Up though so he can learn to hate feeling wet.

We have a playgroup on Thursday and I am very excited to be around other moms that have 1 and 2 year olds that pee and poop in their diapers. And now that I think about it, all the 2 year olds I know are still in diapers....so maybe I should crawl out of my little dark hole and put a smile on my face. My child is normal.

Pampers you win - The Jordan household is still buying double, but this mom comes with coupons!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been a while since Chandler was potty trained (he's 7) but my magic trick was a timer. We set the oven timer for every hour and made a big deal about the "TeeTee Timer" going off. It worked great for him. He was a little over 2 when we started and the process was complete in about a month. GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous said...

Sean was 3! Emily was almost 4, and today I was photographing a 3 year old clearly wearing a diaper under the jeans.
:o) It will happen!

our magic bullet though, was the daycare! the pressure of the other kids magically makes it happen!

Anonymous said...

Phoenix is 3 months younger than Jackson and I haven't encouraged potty use at all, having the new baby and a full time job was enough for me...but that darn daycare! He saw all the other kids using the potty and he was one of the only ones still laying down for a diaper and he just refused to ever use a diaper there. It was complete peer pressure. He wears diapers at night and at nap because he only holds it about 60% of the time while sleeping. Maybe show Jackson some other older kids using the potty. Oh and Elmo has a potty video and a book that we watch just because we like Elmo.