Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Naptime = The time you can actually sit down and reflect on how crazy your life is!

Both boys are asleep. Garrett is starting to get on a schedule. About a month ago, in my blog I talked about starting sleep training for Garrett. (Putting him down awake...) After talking with my sister in law, who is a pediatrician, I decided to wait until he was 3 months old to start it. She said 3-4 months is the best time for sleep training.

On June 21, Garrett turned 3 months. That night I fed him his bottle (this is when he will normally fall asleep), changed his diaper to wake him up, swaddled him, Aaron and I told him good night, and I laid him down in his crib WIDE awake. We NEVER heard a sound from him. He slept until 7:00!!!!!!!! I knew this was good, but I also knew not to get too excited because the next night could be different. And it was...but it is okay....he is learning how to fall asleep on his own! Even though he is waking up during the night right now hungry, in a few months he will be physically able to sleep through the night without a bottle...which means when he cries in the middle of the night, I can ignore it and he will go back to sleep. He won't need my help.

Three months is when they say habits start forming. This means, no more napping on his play mat, no more napping on the couch, no more napping in the swing, no more napping on mommy (well, maybe a little..:) So, today Jackson ate his lunch and Garrett had his bottle. I changed both diapers. I swaddled Garrett up just like I do at night, told him good night, and put him in his crib. He cried. I tried to ignore it. I read to Jackson, told him good night, and put him to bed. Went back in Garrett's room, patted his belly, told him it was okay, and left the room. I sat in the living room and listened to a few minutes of Jackson singing some type of song and Garrett crying....then it was silent. They were both asleep and both in their cribs.

As Garrett is getting a little older, my days are becoming more normal, but things are still crazy! I was thinking the other day about how different my life is now than it was two years ago. Everything changes. Going to get gas - I keep the car running so the boys have air conditioning....lock the doors, but roll down the passenger window (the side of my gas tank) so I can unlock the door to get back in. Going to the grocery store - this was already hard with one baby....I haven't tried it with two. How would this even work?? Put Garrett's carrier on the top part and Jackson would go where? You know how long the shopping trip would take if I let him walk. I either go when Aaron gets home from work or Aaron goes on his way home from work. Cooking dinner - I have to give Jackson things to help me with and sing and dance to keep Garrett happy. Going to the bathroom - "Yes Jackson, that is Mommy's pee-pee!" Taking a shower - Thank God for the swing. Going out to eat - we need a loud place, Garrett would prefer somewhere with cool lights to look at, we order as soon as we sit down, and ask for the bill as soon as they bring our food out. Going to the mall - uggggh, the workers who want to talk to you forever about their sales drive me nuts! Listen buddy, I have a baby that is going to cry any second and a toddler that will want out of the stroller any minute. I am in a hurry. I know what I need, so leave me alone! However, thanks to the cashiers that hold one end of the receipt so you can sign it while holding a baby on your hip. Y'all really are a big help!

It is wild and crazy...but I love it and I love my boys!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...well, actually...half of your pain! :) We started sleep training Parker around 3 months as well. Everything was going great until a couple of weeks ago and we have had trouble laying her down without her throwing huge fits! Maybe this is just a phase...(hopefully). But I know it's always hard to hear them cry...even if it is for their own good...